Artist: Pablo Rasgado
November 14, 2014 – January 25, 2015
For his new series, Pablo Rasgado has delved into the depths of catalogues raisonnés, into the Bibliothèque Kandinsky at the Centre Pompidou and other archives in an attempt to recover lost images. One may argue that every research is an endeavour to retrieve or discover something that is lost or at least unknown. In Rasgado’s case however the objects he pursued had to remain lost in order to be singled out and reclaimed. Rasgado was searching for the blind spots of art history: The images that his serendipitous investigation has disclosed were those that have gone missing, that have been misplaced, destroyed, forgotten, or stolen at some point in their biography, whose provenance expired into the status “present whereabouts unknown.”
Rasgado set himself the task of repainting these works in their actual size and as close to the original as possible. However the new images mimic not their originals but rather their surrogates, the photographs, in regard to the amount of detail and most importantly their colour palette: most of the re-painted works adopt the greyscale of the photographs taken at some point over the last century and transform the reproduction into an oil grisaille.
Accordingly the paintings chosen by Rasgado necessitate two predicaments: that they are nowhere to be found, and that at some point before their loss they were photographically recorded. Rasgado collides the media and genres of painting and photography and with them their many complex evocations of the absent, of their status as emanation or representation of something that they are not. He also collides two distinct chronologies: The paintings date back to the 1440s up to the 1960s, but their photographic records follow a different and independent timeline, as well as a very distinct phenomenological status.
Pablo Rasgado’s recent exhibitions include: Limited Visibility, CAM Raleigh, NC; La voluntad de la piedra , Museo de Arte Carrillo Gil, Mexico; Noise, (Collateral Events) at the 55th Biennale di Venezia, Ex Magazzini di San Cassian, Venice, Italy;Other People’s Problems: Conflicts and Paradoxes, Herzliya Museum of Contemporary Art, Tel Aviv; When Attitudes Became Form Becomes Attitudes, Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, Detroit and CCA Wattis Institute for Contemporary Arts, San Francisco; Lost Line: Contemporary Art from the Collection, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles;Arquitectura Desdoblada, Museo Experimental el Eco, Mexico City; Cimbra: Formas especulativas y armados metafísicos,Museo de Arte Moderno,Mexico City; Open Day, Stonehouse, Lagos, Nigeria; Second Coming, Hessel Museum of Art & Center for Curatorial Studies at Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY.; Destello, Colección Jumex. In 2014 Rasgado was an invited artist at La Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris.
Image: courtesy of the artist and Arratia Beer
“In general, all I want is to find my own way of doing politics.”
Traducido del inglés
“En general, lo único que quiero es encontrar mi propia manera de hacer política”.
Selected Biographical Information
Education / Training
- 2002-2004: Film production house La Alcachofa Films, Mexico City, Mexico .
- 2003: Licenciatura en Artes Plásticas (BFA), Universidad de las Américas Puebla, Mexico, Mexico.
- 1998: Instituto Gaudí, Photography Department, Lima, Peru.
- 1995-1997: Facultad de Artes (Fine Arts Department), Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima , Peru
- 1993-1994: , Facultad de Letras (Humanities Studies Department) Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima, Peru.
Prizes / Fellowships
- 2007: Grant by Fundacion Jumex for video project “Cancion de Cuna”, finally intitled “Incorporación, desprendimiento”, Fundacion Jumex, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2006: Grant by Re: New Media, a division of The Rockefeller Foundation, for project “Marathon”, The Rockefeller Foundation, New York, USA.
- 2005: Honorific mention, 15th Festival de Arte Electronica VideoBrasil, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- 2005: First Prize, Experimental Shortfilm category, Bienal de Cortometraje Cuadro 2005, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 1999: Concurso Arte Joven. First Prize with I.R., specific site project for public space in Lima, Peru, Municipalidad de Miraflores, Lima, Peru.
- 2014: “Interruptions on decrees and stages”, Mori Museum, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2013: “Ciudadano Paranormal”, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Spain.
- 2012: “Visitas”, Museo Experimental El Eco, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2012: “Escorpião e/ou Fotocopias de 1999”, Galeria Leme, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- 2012: “Art pieces / Tonotono”, Arratia Beer, Berlin, Germany.
- 2012: “Territorial” (in collab. with Rafael Polar)”, Museu de Arte Moderna de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- 2010: “Cone Flow”, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Fort Worth, Texas, USA.
- 2009: “Runway Dance”, Maribel Lopez Gallery, Berlin , Germany.
- 2009: “Quorum Power”, Museo Carrillo Gil, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2009: “No matter what happens to you, we will keep growing”, Y Gallery, Queens, New York, USA.
- 2008: “Incorporación, desprendimiento”, Galeria OMR, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2008: “Maratón”, Galeria Leme, Sao Paulo, Brazil .
- 2006: “Sinapsis insurrección”, Sala de Arte Público Siqueiros, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2006: “Sinapsis 1”, Galeria OMR, Mexico City, Mexico .
- 2006: “Prehistoria. Animations and drawings”, The Agency Contemporary, London, UK.
- 2006: “Prehistoria, Escenario” Subzone2″, Galerie Adler, Frankfurt, Germany.
- 2005: “Conmemoración”, Museo Carrillo Gil, Mexico City, Mexico .
- 2005: “Simplesmente Elas Exalam” (with Juan Pablo Macías)”, Galeria Leme, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- 2005: “Prehistoria” (one night/one work show)”, ÍNDICE ESPACIO, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2013: “Biopic”, Maria Stenfords gallery, London, UK.
- 2013: “Así van las cosas. Fischli & Weiss + Videos”, Malba, Buenos Aires, Brazil.
- 2012: “Pop Politics. Activismos a 33 Revoluciones”, CA2M, Madrid, Spain.
- 2012: “Remesas: flujos simbólicos/movilidades de capital”, Fundación Telefónica, Lima, Peru.
- 2011: “Biennale de Lyon“, Lyon, France .
- 2010: “Bienal de Sao Paulo“, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- 2010: “Bienal de las Américas“, Denver, USA.
- 2009: “Yo uso perfume para ocupar más espacio”, Museo Carrillo Gil, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2008: “Panorama da Arte Brasileira”, Museu de Arte Moderna, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- 2008: “Berlin Zoótropo. 7 proyectos de animación”, Museo de Arte Moderno, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2007: “En perfecto desorden”, Museo Nacional Reina Sofia, Madrid, Spain.
- 2006: “VideoZone 3”, The Center for Contemporary Art, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 2006: “Eastern Alliance 3 Teledivision Show”, Muzeul National de Arta Contemporana, Bucarest, Romania
- Mali, Peru
- Malba, Argentina
- Lacma, USA
- Museum of Fine Artes, Houston TX, USA
- JPMorgan Chase Arte Collection, USA