Artist: Dario Escobar
April 6, 2016 – May 7, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
Dario Escobar’s artistic research develops from sculptural and installation acts started with the appropriation of industrial objects. Throughout a path of over fifteen years, the artist has already worked in dialogue with visual traditions as diverse as the Guatemalan baroque, the skin of broken cars and objects seen as symbols of consumerism. His operation as an artist happens from the selection of those pieces and their reconfiguration through actions like juxtaposition and repetition, fragmentation and cut of materials, and a reflection on how to install them inside the exhibition space.
In “Composition”, continuing this investigation, the artist presents new works in Brazil, which propose multiple possibilities of composition through the appropriation and approximation of dissimilar elements. In the series “Geometric construction” and “Modular construction”, Escobar recodes the tradition of painting the back of trucks in Guatemala, creating new patterns that invite the spectator to open them up and enjoy their distinct configurations. The formal research starting with the two-dimensional is also perceptible in his “Motor oil compositions”, in which also using a non-conventional material the artist explores the possibilities of paper and drawing.
Regarding the three-dimensional, in the series “Still-life” the artist explores ways of presenting objects from the sports industry, like basketballs, still aseptic and distant from its use by the human body. In “Balance” there is a tension of the material as well as of the elements mentioned by the artist: on one hand the metal sheets recall the minimalist sculptures of Carl Andre, on the other hand, sustaining its weight, the glass is present in the famous American glasses commercialized in Sao Paulo since 1940 and already elevated to symbols of Brazilian design.
Besides those works, in dialogue with this sculptural thought that composes through the geometry inherent to ordinary objects, there will be presented new works which will be developed through the meeting between Dario Escobar and the commodities from the popular markets in Sao Paulo. Therefore, these compositions aim to establish other direct conversations with the Brazilian visual culture, in the same way the artist replies everyday to the industrialized objects used in Guatemala.
I incorporate the material function of my studio as a means of illustrating my artistic practice.
Traducido del inglés
Incorporo la función material de mi estudio como medio de ilustrar mi práctica artística.
Selected Biographical Information
Education / Training
- 2006-2008: Programe La Seine – Postgraduate program, Ecole Nationale Supérieure Des Beaux Arts Paris-ENSBA, Paris, France.
- 2002-2005: Master in Fine Arts, Universidade de São Paulo. ECA- Escola de Comunicações e artes-USP, São Paulo, Brazil.
- 1995-2001: Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture and Urbanism, Universidad Ricardo Palma, Lima, Peru.
Prizes / Fellowships
- 2011: artistic residence, SOART, Millstättersee, Austria.
- 2010: artistic residence, Malongen Nordic Guest Studio, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2008: artistic residence, Microresidencia Parasit(i)o in collaboration with MeetFactory, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2008: artistic residence, NID- National Institute of Design – in collaboration program La Seine , Ahmedabad, India.
- 2007: artistic residence, Mongin art studios-collaboration program Las Seine, Seoul, South Korea.
- 2006-2007: artistic residence, Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, France.
- 2015: “Do & Hope”, Gleichapel, Paris, France.
- 2014: “Elephant Island”, Galería Lucía de la Puente, Lima, Peru.
- 2013: “Time & Tide (Flow wide)”, Galeria Casado Santapau, Madrid, Spain.
- 2013: “Head On”, Lisabird Contemporary, Vienna, Austria.
- 2012: “Prismatic”, Casa Triangulo, São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2011: “USURPATION: Le Folklore”, Galería Lucía de la Puente, Lima, Peru.
- 2011: “INRI”, Casa Triangulo, São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2009: “God (and Le Corbusier) promises a safe landing (but not a calm voyage)”, Casado Santapau, Madrid, Spain.
- 2006: “Manimal”, De Vleeshal, Middleburg, Holland.
- 2005: “SantaCruz”, Casa Triangulo, São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2003: “Burocracia”, Paço Das Artes, São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2015: “Idées Multiples”, Galerie Des Galeries, Paris, France.
- 2015: “A false Horizon“, Peana Projects, New York, USA.
- 2015: “Polivalencias “, Curated by Jorge Villacorta. Galería Lucía de la Puente, Lima, Peru.
- 2014: “Light/Color/Object”, Super Dakota, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2014: “Casa Triangulo No Pivò“, Casa Triangulo- Pivò, edificio Copan, São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2014: “UNTITLED miami Art Fair “, Rincón Projects, Miami, USA.
- 2011: “Choix de Paris”, Cité International des Arts curated by Elsy Lahner, Paris, France.
- 2010: “Everydays(s)“, Casino Luxembourg-Forum d’art contemporain, Luxembourg, Luxembourg.
- 2010: “Now or Never”, Rincón Projects, New York, USA.
- 2008: “El Papel del artista”, Doméstico 08. Curated by Teodora Diamantopoulos, Joaquín García, Giulietta Speranza, Andrés Mengs y Virginia Torrente, Madrid, Spain.
- 2005: “AU-DELA DU COPAN: Beyond the Copan, Supernatural Urbanism“, Fondation d’Enterprise Ricard, Paris, France.
- 2004: “Artista-Personagem -curated by Daniela Labra”, Centro cultural Maria Antonia, São Paulo, Brazil.
- Pier Stockholm, The Weight of References (Paris: onestar press), 150.
- Albertina Museum, Vienna, Austria.
- SBKM / De Vleeshal at MuHKA, Antwerp, Belgium.