*This artist statement has been generated by a computer.
Emilio Chapela lives and works both in Mexico City and the Forgotten Realms of the Earth. He works with the latest technology from Japan and China. His artistic practice is concerned with the development of a system that allows the operator to control various processes such as those used for conventional and unconventional methods to determine the relative importance of individualized factors. He also investigates the effect of increasing importance of the different methods used to identify the specific factors involved in the production and dissemination of a particular type of information. In such a way, he has worked with several different methods to determine how the various systems respond to the needs identified through their own resources. He has participated in shows both at galleries, museums and other cultural institutions, at places like the U.S. Geological Society of America and at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. He was awarded with the prestigiou award for gallantry in the field of public procurement and disposal. In 2010, he published his first book on the history of the world. In the near future, he will be showing his work at the National Institute of Technology and Information Ethics in Washington DC.
Selected Biographical Information
Education / Training
- Lic. en Comunicaciones. Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Diploma en Fotografía y Medios Alternativos. Centro de la Imagen, Mexico City, Mexico.
Prizes / Fellowships
- 2003: Jovenes Creadores, FONCA.
- 2007: Residencias en el Extranjero, FONCA/ISCP NYC.
- 2008: Fomento y Coinversiones Culturales, FONCA.
- 2010: Premio Tequila Centenario al Artista Emergente, ZONA MACO.
- 2013: Fondo para Publicaciones, Fundación/Colección Jumex.
- 2013: Jovenes Creadores, FONCA.
- 2013: “Requiem“, Sala de Arte Público Siqueiros, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2012: “Ein Ungerhueurliches Beispiel von Sozialismus”, V.F.K.U. Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz, Berlin, Germany.
- 2012: “La Guerra de las Termitas”, Galería 11×7, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 2011: “A measure for some things“, Henrique Faria Fine Art, NYC, USA.
- 2011: “Ask Google”, Saw Gallery, Ottawa, Canada.
- 2010: “Made in Italy”, Galleria Galica, Milan, Italy.
- 2013: “Obra Colección”, Foto Colectania, Barcelona, Spain. Curated by Joan Fontcuberta.
- 2013: “Formas y Pasajes”, Centro de las Artes, Monterrey, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2012: “Tiempo de Sospecha”, Museo de Arte Moderno, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2012: “The Black Market of Translation”, NGBK and Kunstraum Kreuzberg, Berlin, Germnay.
- 2011: “Social Media”, Pace Gallery NY, USA.
- 2011: “Patria o Libertad”, MOCA Toronto, Canada.
- Miscomunication: Baragouins, Giberish and Googledygook. 2008. Catálogo de Expoisición. Die Kurt Gödel Bibliothek. 2014. Ed. Sicomoro.